York St John is a prestigious civic university with roots dating back to the 1840’s. York Diocesan Training School, for teacher education, opened in May 1841 with one pupil on the register, 16 year old Edward Preston Cordukes. (The current Students’ Union building is named in his honour). 1846 saw the foundation of the Female Training School which moved to Ripon in 1862.
The college in York was described as St John’s College from the late 1890s. The College had a long standing relationship with the University of Leeds, dating back to the 1920s, and became a full College of the University in 1990. It was decided to relocate all taught courses to the York campus in 1999 and, in view of the changed location the College was renamed York St John College in 2001.
York St John was granted Taught Degree Awarding Powers in September 2005. Following this, York St John received approval from the Privy Council of the United Kingdom to become a University and adopted the full title of York St John University on the 1 October 2006, followed by the installation of its first Chancellor Archbishop Sentamu in March 2007.
Today the University is based on an award-winning campus in the centre of York, with students studying on a diverse range of subjects within its three Faculties and a Business School. It has a wide network of regional, national and international partnerships with a highly recognised reputation for its teaching and learning.
The University has a student population of over 5,600, including over 800 postgraduate students. Around 5 per cent of its students are international. The University employs over 600 staff (figures as at May 2010).
York St John University
Lord Mayor’s Walk